You just need to have a website and the customers will find you automatically. Does that sound too good to be true? It is. There are so many websites and competitors out there that potential customers won't just land on your website. So you'll have to do a bit more than just be 'online'. SEA or Search Engine Advertising goes a long way!
Difference between SEA and SEO
Fortunately, there are several ways to online increase visibilitysuch as by investing in SEO (Search Engine Optimisation). This means that you optimize your website for search engines, such as Google, in order to be found faster and better in an 'organic' way. SEO however is a work of long breath.
If you're on short term wants to be found better in the search results of Google then Google Ads a good option. Google Ads is one of the more known SEA (Search Engine Advertising) opportunities. Below you can see the difference between organic results and ads through Google Ads.
Besides the search network, you can also advertise via display ads. Moreover, there is also the possibility to advertise in apps, there is also such a thing as shopping ads and his video ads possible.
More than enough choice to Get your website to score higher quickly thanks to SEA. However, we shall now confine ourselves to the 2 most common types: search and display ads.
Difference between search network and display network
Advertisements within the search network can be shown in:
- The search engine of Google yourself, in Google Play and in Google Maps.
- On the websites of the search partners of Google, such as in the search results on the Humo.be website.
Advertisements within the display network can be shown in:
- The display network of Googlewith websites like Gmail, Blogger and YouTube.
- The display network of partners. These are millions of websites on which your ads can appear.
Whether you choose a search or a display ad depends on the goal of your SEA campaign:
- In the search network do you want Reach people who are actively looking to a particular product or service.
- The display network is rather based on the nature of your target audience: you want to people with certain interests, demographics..... This is more to brand awareness to generate. It is also often used for remarketing with people who have already come into contact with your website or certain advertisements. Zalando and bol.com for example are very active in display advertising.
SEA and Google Ads: the advantages
A major advantage of advertising with Google Ads is that the Measuring costs and revenues per keyword are. So you can continually update your keywords and bids. adjust and optimize.
In addition, you can also very specifically targeting on locationSo that your ad is not sold to just anyone. For example, if you are a regional bike seller, you want your ads to be clicked by potential customers in the area.
Another possibility is to advertise at certain times or on certain days. For example, as a restaurant owner, you may want to advertise only on the days you are actually open and maybe only 1 or 2 hours before you open to maximize conversions.
How does Google Ads work?
With Google Ads you pay the CPC (Cost-Per-Click) on an ad. You can set the maximum CPC you want to spend. An auction system then determines the position and number of times your ad will be shown. The quality score is also important. This is determined by:
- The expected CTR (Click-Through-Rate) of the advertisement.
- The relevance of the landing page compared to the ad.
- The relevance of the search term.
Together with the effective bid, the above factors determine the Ad Rank of your ad. Based on your Ad Rank, the position of your ad in Google is determined. Important to know is that you always pay the bid of the competitor who is ranked just below you, increased with 1 eurocent.
What are the disadvantages of Google Ads?
Of course, the costs for your campaigns can quickly mount up if you don't keep track of who clicks on your ads. Not everyone is equally attentive when they click on a message and you get irrelevant clicks.
One reason for this could be that your keywords are too broad. Take, for example, a company that rents out mobile homes. If you only enter 'mobile homes' as a keyword, you will also reach people who are looking for 'holidays with mobile homes', 'buy mobile homes', etc. These are all clicks that will ultimately make you lose money and not gain anything.
You can monitor the relevance of your ads by tracking the bounce rate, duration of sessions and number of visited pages per session in Google Analytics.
SEA case study: 300% more sales
You're not quite convinced of the usefulness or success of Google Ads yet? Then take a moment to read the case study we conducted in 2018. Dazzle client Dream beds realized with our help 300% more online sales with a budget reduction of 20%.